Nordstrom Anniversary Sale: Your guide for the best work from home athleisure and activewear from a former adidas/Converse sales rep: Midwest & East Coast Edit
3 style guides, 4 regions of fashion for all things athleisure/activewear with a splash of sporty chic and home.
Welcome to the Midwest Edit
Midwest Look 1: “Lake-effect & Chill” (Y’all know what I am talking about don’t you?!) The snow in the midwest is no joke and although you’ll need more than the items below to venture outside, these styles are perfect for chillin' on the couch! For a link to all styles click here.
2. Zella Studio Crop Lite Leggings — part of my core leggings work-from-home collection that I have in rotation and wear weekly! Slimming, true to size. I prefer a mid-calf crop but Zella has full leggings as well as 7/8 (with a pocket!).
3. UGG Whistler Throw Blanket — because why not throw a fabulous, warm blanket in the mix?! This blanket is as comfy as their boots and that color is to die for!
4. UGG Classic Femme Toggle Wedge Boot- just purchased these and they have not arrived yet but I absolutely love a good wedge added bonus is the cozy fur! The toggle detail is a nice touch. Something would have to go terribly wrong for me not to love these because I love all of my UGG products!
5. B.P Denim Jacket with Removable FAUX Shearling Collar Denim jackets are a layering staple for me and this is perfect for the winter! I am feeling the nostalgia 90's “Levi’s vibes.
6. Zella Spray Dye High Waist Leggings tie-dye is still trending but brands are getting creative with colors and patterns. These are great for taller, slender gals because of the way the pattern is — horizontal patterns may not be as flattering on someone with shapelier legs. But give em a go if you love the pattern because if you like it that is all that matters!
7. Serene House Ranger TRAVEL Aromatherapy Diffuser — seriously a travel diffuser?! I had no idea these existed. I might be late to the aroma game!
8. Barefoot Dreams 2-Pack CozyChic Socks can’t ya just feel how comfy these are?! #WFHSOCKS
9. Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit Running Shoe this style is super comfy and can be worn for working out or for athleisure/fashion. I love the look of the lacing and functionally, the laces make your feet feel supported and snug (in a good way).
11. Sweaty Betty High Shine Sculpt Workout Leggings — Sweaty Betty leggings are tight, like super tight which makes them slightly challenging to get on but once they are on they do not move! And while they might not be the most comfortable, they do suck you in! This color is magnificent for fall and goes awesome with a washed denim!
***MUSICAL INTERMISSION*** Midwest Playlist:“It’s Pop Not Soda” Artists include: Madonna, Lizzo, Common and Talking Heads
Midwest Look 2 “Chi Town” because it wouldn’t be the midwest unless Chicago was mentioned. A little edgier, not as heavy on the cozy more emphasis on the sexy.
- Zella Peaceful Twist T-Shirt — At only $29.90 this is a steal for activewear or athleisure. Super comfy, roomy but has a fashion twist with the knot front detail.
2. Zella Endurance Performance Jogger Pants — the rouching detail as well as the fabrication give this pair of joggers more of a fashion look. Pair with heels if you feel so bold and you aren’t on COVID restriction ;) or with some Nike Air Max’s … HOT.
3. Cubic Zirconia Stud Earrings I love a great pair of faux diamond earrings. These are my go-to’s! When I get lazy and don’t want to change my earrings I just leave these in, they go with everything and I kinda like to jazz up my athleisure with a faux diamond. Pro Tip (actually my Grandma Maxx’s tip that works like a charm) to make your earrings shine, take a toothbrush and some (mild) soap and brush the sides and the middle, rinse and they look sparkling like your man just bought you a 25th- year anniversary gift (that might be a slight exaggeration).
4. Sweaty Betty All Sport Backpack what you can’t see are the straps on the bottom that can hold your Yoga Matt! Two side pockets for small storage and one large area for all your other sh**t. :)
5. adidas Ultra Boost Running these are amazing. I love them. And I especially love this crisp, chic WHITE. They are snug in a good way and feel like pillows on your feet! Having worked in this industry for over 10 years, I have tried so many running shoes. These are in my top 3.
6. Patagonia Better Sweater Quarter-Zip Performance Jacket — Patagonia is having a resurgence with the 90’s trend, plus they are a brand with a cause. How can you not feel good supporting a brand fighting against oil drilling and suing the president? Looking for a brand that cares about the environment, Patagonia is it. Also, quarter-zips are hot.
7. Zella Studio Crop Lite Leggings — there is a reason I have these capri tights in multiple style guides. They are quality, fit well, and don’t fall down! (Also no camel toe!)
8.Nike Sportswear Crewneck Sweatshirt — I LOVE this top! Super cute, cropped, and comfy! Can’t beat the price at $39.90! *New Nike gear rarely goes on sale!*
9.Nike Tempo Dri-Fit Running Short — Okay, full transparency, I do NOT wear shorts. They just look terrible on me. I remember these when I was working for adidas and every brand was trying to replicate them. The “Tempo” franchise has been in Nike’s line FOREVER — that means they have sold (otherwise they wouldn’t keep them in the line) and women love them. I have tried them and although I don’t like them on me (remember I don’t wear shorts) if I had to wear a pair of shorts, the Nike Tempo short would be it.
10. Beyond Yoga Boyfriend V-Neck — one of my favorite purchases from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale! I love the back — it shows enough but not too much. (Your regular bra doesn’t show but your sports bra will and that is a good thing, it gives you an excuse to get a great printed sports bra or one of those strappy fashion ones!). It’s a sexy workout or athleisure piece.
11. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37 TB — another core staple for Nike. Those that love Nike will recognize the “Pegasus” name. Like the Tempo franchise, “Pegasus” has been in their line for a very long time so it is tried and true. Sleek, cool lacing system. It is designed specifically for the women’s foot too!
Midwest Look 3: “Heart of America” — the essentials of activewear and athleisure for the heart of America with a side of Aloha because when you live in the Midwest sometimes you need a burst of tropical vibes!
- Zella Liana Long Sleeve Recycled Blend Performance T-Shirt — once again Zella makes the list. As Nordstrom’s private label, Zella is a favorite. Every woman in America needs a good, core long-sleeve tee, this is it. Slightly fitted which gives it shape so it’s not boxy.
2. Zella Live-IN Jogger Pants — the new legging is the jogger pant and they are so versatile! Dress up with heels and a button-down tied or dress down with hi-tops and a cropped tee for a sporty chic look or wear a plain v-neck and enjoy loungin on the couch.
3. P448 John Low Top Sneaker — I am very much a “traditionalist” when it comes to kicks but I am evolving y’all! I am starting to like brands other than the “big 3” (Nike, adidas, and insert your own Puma, NB, Asics). From a “lifestyle” /fashion perspective I am digging the subtle floral detail and the jury is still out on the laces but you can always change those if you aren’t feeling it.
5. Illume Ceramic Pineapple Jar Candle- Staying with the Hawaiian spirit for the home, obviously, a pineapple candle is necessary. When it’s snowing you can light her up and escape to Maui, feel the ocean breeze and sip on a Pineapple Mimosa (I would encourage you to actually have the real thing!)
6. Kate Spade avaline 58mm aviator sunglasses- if you are looking for an alternate for your Ray-Bans or want to switch it up, these aviators by Kate Spade have a subtle animal print on the side that adds a point of differentiation from everyone else.
7. Patagonia Better Sweater Quarter-Zip Performance Jacket — I love Patagonia quarter zip so much I included it in black. Patagonia is having a resurgence with the 90’s trend, plus they are a brand with a cause. How can you not feel good supporting a brand fighting against oil drilling and suing the president? Looking for a brand that cares about the environment, Patagonia is it. Also, quarter-zips are hot.
8. Zella High Waist Studio Lite Crop Leggings- a nice alternative to the basic black tight/legging this animal print has a bit of a twist in it with the dot pattern. Leggings with prints are great for working out or athleisure giving it a little fashion vibe.
9. Nike Air Max Dia Running Shoe- I included these in my west coast blog as well because I love this style and the fit. This chunkier look is trending and these colors are perfect for summer going into fall.
10. Halogen Textured Cashmere Scarf- Cashmere scarves should be given to any woman who moves to the midwest. They are amazingly warm and versatile. I also love to take mine on the plane back when we used to fly pre-Covid (those were the days;) but a scarf is a staple whenever I travel. You never know when the AC is going to be full blast in a meeting or if you travel with someone in the car that wants to turn their car into an ice cave.
11. S’well Smokey Quartz 17-Ounce Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle — as good as Corkcicle IMO and did you know that S’well donates a portion of the proceeds from the sale of each bottle to UNICEF to help provide clean drinking water to children around the world.
12. Zella Seamless Dip Dye Long Sleeve Tee — I love Zella’s long-sleeve tees, they are fitted not boxy and I love this ombre faded color of greys. OMG and I almost forgot my fave detail: thumbholes. Some women hate them, I happen to love them for a few reasons but mostly because when I put a jacket on it is so easy because the sleeves stay in one place versus always getting hiked up and having to adjust!
5. adidas Swift Run Sneaker — not quite the ultra boost but a solid, basic running/training shoe, and at a little under $50 you are getting a lot of value for your money. It’s sleek, minimalist look is a nice touch with leggings, joggers or skinny jeans.
***EAST COAST EDIT***
East coast has a vastly different vibe from the Midwest however there are some key staples that span all the regions. Let’s explore the land of Biggie, the Boogie Down, and Boston. (Had to have 3 B’s:)
For your East Coast playlist click here. Artistis include: Kendrick Lamar, Toto, Beyonce and Drake.
East Coast Look 1: “The Boogie Down”- I have a special place in my heart for the East Coast, my first territory when I worked for adidas. My accounts consisted mostly of independent, “urban” accounts that no one paid attention to. They didn’t know the secret. That NY fashion, style and trends start there! In that spirit, there is a heavy NYC influence with a dash of Flatbush Ave and Dr. J’s for obvious reasons.
1.Beyond Yoga Never Been Hoodie — I was wondering why the ratings for this hoodie were so low…what everyone disliked was the reason I loved this hoodie! It is a thinner material but I guess when people hear the word “hoodie” they assume it should be heavier material. It’s not and that’s the beauty of it! Wear a layering cami tank underneath and put a denim jacket over and a scarf to stay warm.
2. Champion Fleece Jogger Pants — Champion was created in Rochester, NY (owned by Hanes brands now) so if ever there were a brand that felt “east coast” it’s Champion and these sweats are a perfect representation. Bold, shortened logo, heavy fabrication (great for the winter), and simple.
3. Nike Blazer Lo- I have owned so many pairs of Blazer Lo’s and never gotten them for this price! ($49.90) I love the versatility of this shoe you can wear with joggers, cropped jeans, leggings or a pencil skirt for a sporty chic look. This is colorway is great with an all-black outfit to give it a color pop! And did you know he Nike Blazer is one of the oldest sneakers in Nike history? Originally a basketball shoe back in 1973 (shout out to my Gen X ladies born in 1973, we are special! :)
4. Zella Mesh Around Crop Top — well it was bound to happen you guys, may have had too much wine, belting out Biggie because this style is NOT on the anniversary sale. It’s still CUTE AF though. The mesh detail is very NYC hoops and the cropped length is perfect with high rise leggings or denim.
5. Restore Zella Soft Pocket Jogger Pants — love the fit of these joggers, true to size, wider waistband with drawstring, and has that “athleisure” look and feel in this grey colorway. What’s more, this jogger is made from recycled fibers.
6. UGG Classic Feem Toggle Wedge Boog — I LOVE these! A nice twist on the original Ugg Boot. Added bonus it is a wedge so that gives you a little height. The toggle is a nice touch.
7. Halogen Absolute Camisole — cami’s are an athleisure staple. I purchase this style twice a year because I cycle through them so quickly. At$12.90 I bought two instead of waiting 6 months and it is offered in core colors (white, tan etc). This is a stretchy cami (92% cotton 8% spandex) so it will be TIGHT and should be as a layering piece.
8. Nike Sportswear Knit Palazzo Pants — this is an edgier, fashion piece of athleisure with the wide leg pant. Can be tricky to style but get creative! Cropped top, fitted top, bodysuit — lots of options. You will definitely stand out as a fashion-forward babe in these comfy palazzo pants.
9. Chuck Taylor All Star Lift High Top Platform — the OG Chuck Taylor gets a little edgier with not only a platform but also a super fun animal print. At $45.90 that is cheaper than the low top!
10. 1901 Denim Jacket — the denim jacket is a layering staple for just about ALL athleisure and sporty chic looks. A good fit is a must and this delivers! And seriously this price is awesome $35.60
East Coast Look #2 “Navy is the new BLACK” — Navy is always a great alternative to black and navy + grey is a great combo especially in these times if you are feeling kinda “blue.” Hues of blue calls to mind feelings of calmness and serenity, much needed during these times.
Gary Zip Front Hoodie — Super-versatile cropped hoodie you can wear as a set or with jeans or leggings with a cami underneath.
Sweaty Betty Garudansan Crop Sweatpants — if you wanna go matchy-match this is a great set to go monochromatic! A fantastic work from home option if you don’t have to be “zoom ready.” Plus you will be so comfy you won’t even know you are working from home!
Rounded V-Neck T-Shirt — I am more of a V-neck girl but for $12.90 I am going to give this one a go!
Natori Bliss Perfection Underwire Contour Bra — you need a great T-shirt bra to go under your new tee! I love Natori because they are one of, if not the only, bra brand that makes thin straps for larger cups. ;) Size up one cup size (I am 34D and need 34DD in all of their styles) I wore this the other day and loved it!!! Minimalistic works great under tees or if you have a tank that shows straps this works.
Treasure and Bond Curved Hem Tee — how awesome is this ombre color fade in navy and grey! Treasure and Bond is Nordstrom’s private label so prices are typically reasonable and on-trend. This fits true to size.
Asics Gel-Kayano 26 running Shoe — a staple in the Asics family. Great for running, walking or cardio. I LOVE the look of the crisp white with navy and salmon color pops. I would only want to wear these indoors to keep them so pretty! And under $100 — they never go on sale! These will likely go fast so don’t be surprised if they are already sold out.
Small Kita Convertible Leather Backpack — I am a sales rep for JanSport and even I want a fashion, leather backpack like this! The minimalist look with details on the strap makes it the perfect athleisure backpack for a more dressed-up look.
Beyond Yoga Never Been Hoodie — I love this lightweight hoodie- probably because I live in LA and we don’t wear a lot of heavy hoodies. An athleisure staple from one of my favorite brands!
East Coast Look 3 “Olivia Pope Vibes” — don’t we all need a little Olivia Pope style in our life? Also fierceness and confidence? That can come from how you dress which is why Olivia’s style guide is a little less athleisure and more sporty chic and stealth, just like she is.
Blanc Noir Channel Track Jacket — this jacket is stealth, sleek and the cut and design are super flattering. Lose 10 lbs instantly by putting on a jacket! :)
BP. Fleece Jogger — Every girl deserves a good jogger in black. A core staple in any athleisure wardrobe! These are BP. which is Nordstrom’s private label for “younger” gals. But I am here to break rules so yah, imma shop in BP. I have been since I was a teen so why stop now?! Also, Olivia would so rock a pair of heels with this and a button-down tied at the waist and some statement jewelry!
MAC Dream Team Eye Kit — y’ll all ladies look good in this color pallette. And you get mascara and eyeliner, everything you need to get your eyes popping! I am purchasing for my travel kit. If I ever travel again. ;)
Timberland Jayne Waterproof Hiking Bootie — You may or may not hike but you’re definitely not wearing the traditional brown Timberlands, you’re doing something a little different starting a black boot trend. The gum sole is a nice, unexpected detail.
Thanks for reading! Drop a comment if you need any replacement styles because something you saw was sold out or just to say hi. :)
All in Favor Tie Neck Peasant Top — so this is obviously not athleisure but it’s in the same comfort category and this is Olivia Pope vibes so she can do things her way. This coral color is trending and looks great with black and works with that gum sole in the Timberland boot above.
PAIGE Hoxton Raw Hem Ankle Jenas (Dark Noir)- I love PAIGE jeans even though they cost a fortune. I have four pairs, all over 2 years old so it was time for a new pair and this dark black wash is fire! And I might be biased because they are an LA-based brand all about the Cali lifestyle plus the founder is a woman who gives back, she is a board member of the Rape Foundation, and a trained volunteer at the Stuart House.
Nordstrom Animal Print Cashmere scarf — the basic black scarf can now have a companion in your closet for 2020! Fun, not too bold zebra print gives a monochromatic look a little bit of pizazz!
Chelsea 28 Sleevless Midi Sweater Dress — this is a showstopper. It is SNUG and fitted. If you have an hourglass figure this is for you! I love this because you can dress up (if you are still wearing heels:) or dress down with some cute Stan Smiths or Nike Blazers. A denim jacket or even a crisp white button down tied at the waist would look amazing!
adidas Stan Smith — one of my absolute fave sneakers of all time. I was lucky enough to meet Stan Smith himself when I worked for adidas, one of the lovliest, nicest guys you’ll ever wanna meet! Runs big size half a size down. Make sure you are buying women’s and if they are men’s go down one in a half sizes.
Y’all you made it! If you read this far, thank you and I hope this was helpful. Would love to hear what you love so drop me a line in the comments!
Now time to pop some bubbly and shop!
Peace, Love, Prosecco & Pineapples
For more style guides, athleisure awesomeness and beach vibes connect with me on Instagram @ tinybubblesblog